Summiting Mt. Rainier in Summer

10:10 AM The Bitcoinist 0 Comments

Hey guys! Because my brother Steve’s final guest post about his epic winter ascent of Mt. Hood was this kind of a hit, he’s back to share an additional guest submit, this time about summiting Mt. Rainier final summer!

mt rainier summit climb success

I’ll let him get it away – thanks for sharing with us, Steve! (Psst: although you are at it, check out out my recap from the Mt. St. Helens summit hike Matt and I did with Steve back in October – most extreme hike of my existence!)

Summiting Mt. Rainier
A guest publish by Anne’s brother Steve

Climbing Mt. Rainier has been on my list of items to do because I moved to Washington State – you can see the mountain super plainly from Ft. Lewis (where I’m stationed). I can don't forget it becoming a welcome sight as it towered in excess of almost everything when I took my first journey out right here back in 2008. As a end result, when a good friend of mine from described that he was placing together a Mt. Rainier journey, I jumped at the opportunity to tag along. Pictured below is Mt. Rainier in the background of a hike Anne and I did back in late summer of 2015 (here’s a website link to her blog recap from that: Hiking Mount Rainier National Park).

mount-rainier-national-park-pinnacle-saddle_thumb

Summiting Mt. Rainier needs a bit a lot more tools than I had, even though, even with all of the military gear I’ve been issued. So, I had to choose up/lease a bunch of new stuff. Pictured below is my packing checklist:

gear needed to summit mt rainier

I brought the half-rope (30 meter 8.5mm rope) for rescue/emergency we utilized a 60 meter 10mm rope that my buddy Dustin (the most experienced of us) brought. Ended up cutting two of the MREs out and it was just adequate meals for 3 days, two nights. I had a bunch of Larabars, which I like a good deal simply because even when they freeze they do not get hard, so you can nevertheless chew them. Also had a great deal of Gatorade gel packs, which are fantastic for quick energy. Pictured is my pack with almost everything in it:

backpack for mt rainier summit hike

We left early on the morning of June 27th, obtaining to the mountain and registered by about 9:thirty. To climb Mt. Rainier, you go and fill out an data sheet for your party, shell out a charge, and then get an annual climbing pass for the mountain. We started out from Paradise, which is the main lodge spot on the mountain and had tons of individuals hanging out and staying there for day hikes. Pictured beneath is Rainier from Paradise.

view of mt rainier from paradise

The route up to Camp Muir goes along some fairly nicely-trafficked paths for a bit, generally taking you up to the Muir Snowfields, which is the final element of the route going up to Camp Muir. We started out in hiking shoes with no trekking poles and then switched to heavier boots and poles as we hit the snowfield.

mt rainier hike muir snowfields

We had a bit of an emergency when one particular of Dustin’s shoulder straps ripped out from his bag. He repaired it with parachute cord tied to the frame and used it the remainder of the trip. We had been quite worried, as if he hadn’t been capable to repair it, he would’ve been with out a bag for the rest of the journey! This is a photo of the fix:

repair a climbing bag with a parachute cord rainier

The Muir snowfields get rather steep, so poles were very beneficial. Didn’t use crampons, though, as it was mainly soft snow at this time for the duration of the summer. It is a bit of a meandering route, also. We followed the flags that had been place down by a variety of groups or rangers heading up and it was relatively simple to make it. The photograph under shows how steep it could get.

mt rainier muir snowfields steep climbing

Produced it to Camp Muir at about two pm or so, and when we received there we set up our (rented) mountaineering tent and commenced melting snow for water and obtaining ready to flip in. Unfortunately all of us received a horrible sunburn on our elbows on the way up in spite of putting on a great deal of sunscreen, the reflection from the snow and the intense sun burned the back of our arms and elbows to a crisp.

Camp Muir is a assortment of brick buildings, like a handful of latrines and a number of shelters/guidebook stations. There were plenty of guided groups with scorching soup and scorching water – created us a bit jealous as we melted our snow! This is a photo of Camp Muir:

camp muir mt rainier hike

And a photo of our little setup, in a tiny depression sheltered from the wind:

camp muir mt rainier hike 2

After going to sleep early Monday night, we woke up late Tuesday and spent the day practicing mountaineering expertise/prepping for our summit attempt. We roped up and walked close to for a whilst, produced positive our crampons have been fitted nicely, practiced some knots, and set up a snow anchor and a z-pulley to practice doing a rescue in the occasion a person fell into a crevasse/off the side. So, a great day of prep. Right here’s a photo of the water boiling setup in camp as I made dinner:

mt rainier summit hike boiling water for dinner

We got up at about 10pm that night to prep and left at 11pm. We left then so we could do the ascent just before the sun came up, partly so that it was cooler and we would get there as the sun did, and partly simply because the sun was going to flip the snow to slush and could also deliver in clouds, also. We went to rest at about six or so, but I do not feel numerous of us acquired a lot sleep. This is a photograph of us acquiring prepared that night:

camp muir mt rainier hike prepping to hike to summit

This is me with the harness on acquiring attached to the rope. You can see my water bottle dangling from my harness, as well as my down jacket in its stuff sack on my hip. I carried almost everything in a small waist-pack as an alternative of taking my complete backpack on the ascent.

preparing to hike to the summit of mt rainier

The route we took, pictured under, was the normal a single (named the Disappointment Cleaver route due to the fact of one particular of the terrain features you traverse).

route to hike to mt rainier summit

You go via some nasty scrambles on rock in the route. I was the #one man on the rope, so I had to locate the route as we had been going, which was rather demanding as I didn’t know the place we were going. Fortunately it hadn’t snowed lately so I could comply with tracks in the snow, but the rock portions had been quite perplexing, and I had to guess which way to go. Figured it out, though! Here’s a photograph showing just how dark it was just before the sun came up along the route:

mt rainier summit hike dark

Due to the fact it was practically pitch black, you had to adhere to a blend of boot tracks in the snow and reflective flags in the rock regions. Right here’s a good image of sunrise as we neared the Substantial Break.

sunrise on mt rainier summit hike

I didn’t genuinely feel the altitude at all, honestly. I was feeling really powerful and energetic the complete time. Some of the other folks in our group were hurting more from the elevation – obtaining really brief of breath and light headed. Had to pull a bit on the rope at times to keep every person moving, as I was up front. Made it to the prime, although, and then it was effortless going down. No big crevasses to cross nevertheless – we crossed about six or seven but they had snow bridges or have been quick ample to hop across no ladders. Just before hitting the best, you go via the crater, which is quite neat. Really flat and open soon after steep and mountainous terrain:

mt rainier crater summit hike

Took us about 7 hrs general. Right here’s a photograph of our entire group at the best (14,416 feet):

mt rainier summit

Here’s me consuming a can of Rainier beer at the summit (a summit tradition). Quite refreshing!

mt rainier summit beer celebration

And right here are two panoramas from the top. (Note from Anne: click on these panorama images to see them bigger!)

mt rainier summit panorama view

mt rainier summit panorama view 2

The way down was pretty straightforward, the snow was softening so you had to be a bit much more mindful not to slide, but total not that difficult. Right here are some photographs from the descent:

mt rainier summit climb descent

This is me as we started out the descent. You can see I have a significant portion of the rope coiled close to me – I had a lot of rope and the rear guy did as nicely. This was because we didn’t want too much slack in between every individual on the rope, and since it gave us further slack on both end with which to set up anchors in the occasion somebody in amongst fell. You can also see I even now have my goggles on – I forgot my sunglasses at the tent!

mt rainier summit climb descent 2

Going down switchbacks, you can see me up front:

mt rainier summit climb descent 3

These are the flags that marked the route. Thankfully they are reflective, so it is simple to inform where you’re going at night.

mt rainier summit climb descent 4

This is a photograph displaying us let another group go previous that was moving faster, as I recall. You can see the dramatic view you have as you go down. Produced the stroll down fun being ready to see the mountains so plainly!

view from mt rainier climb descent

This is a view of a crevasse near the route. Most of the crevasses had been not very huge nevertheless, as it was still early in the summertime. As it continues to warm, they broaden and the snowbridges more than them will collapse and be replaced by ladders.

mt rainier snow crevasse

Took us about 4 hours to get back down. We got off track in the rocky regions a bit, but had been in a position to get down easily, just a bit much more scrambling. Was really nice to get back to camp and have some sizzling foods after about 12 hrs up on the mountain! Here’s a photo of one of the crevasses we crossed, taken from the crossing point and looking into it. It continued like this on the opposite side as properly:

mt rainier snow crevasse 2

Once we got back to camp, a few of the guys took a nap and we boiled some much more snow for the walk down and broke down our camp. I was keen to be done and get my boots off, so I bombed down to the parking good deal and got there about an hour ahead of the rest of the group. Was wonderful, as I was able to get rid of all my trash, sign out at the climbing info center, and lay my wet stuff out to dry although I waited. I consider I also had some pent up power right after currently being roped in all day! We then drove back, getting a burger at a diner out in the Washington boonies, just before parting techniques. Total, a extremely fun trip, and I’m hoping to carry on on to some of the other large mountains in Washington ahead of I depart!

Thanks for reading! Stay tuned for one particular a lot more recap, coming quickly, of my Mt. Adams climbs. – Steve



Read More About Gluten-Free Recipes At NaturallyCurvy.com

0 comments: